System & Equipment Questions

Your inverter is getting old, or it’s not working properly, or it needs to be replaced … ask us. Who makes the best solar panels? Can I buy American made equipment? How can I tell if my panels are working correctly? Ask us? Or feel free to help answer someone else’s questions (we’re good — not perfect)!

4 comments on “System & Equipment Questions

  1. Anonymous

    What is required and recommended to make sure the PV solar electric system is transferred to a new owner of my property?

    There are at least two, as many as four notifications to make sure the PV system is transferred to the new owner.

    1. The first is notification of the utility. Although the process of canceling an electric account for one name and transferring the billing to a new owner’s name should be part of the closing services or noted in the documentation within the real estate transaction there is a separate process for the PV system. The Distributed Generation department of the utility also needs the name change made to update their files. The new owner also has to sign on to the terms and conditions of the Interconnection Agreement with the utility and submit a new signed Schedule Z for the account which designates how and to whom export solar production kilowatt hours are credited.
    When a PV system is installed the utilities issue a coded registration number the old owner should have on their original Interconnection Agreement The system installer should have this number as well. It is very helpful for the utility to have the number to effect the change but the exact street address as it appears on the electric bill and/or the meter number are alternate identifiers.
    Its best to contact the utility department by email with the PV system number or address in the subject heading and the words “ Change of Ownership” . Some Massachusetts utilities describe their policy and procedures on their Net Metering Web pages where you’ll find the contact information.
    National Grid customers go to of ownership

    NStar customers go to

    WMECO customers go to

    Unitil customers go to

    Contact your municipal electric company if your PV system is in their territory.

    2. Most PV systems in Massachusetts were installed under various state programs since 2003 which offered rebates or grants and for many owners of PV systems a production reporting requirement.. Contact with an email whose subject heading includes the program registration number and “ Change of Ownership” Again the original owner should have documentation showing the program code and system number ( eg. SMI –PV-1111 or SRI –PV 1111 or OPV-1111 or CS-1111 or CS2-1111) or the system installer will have that registration number. This notification to the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center will allow the new owner to open a Massachusetts PTS ( Production Tracking System) account in their own name and continue monthly reports which are necessary for selling SRECS or RECS.

    3. The new owner should contact the original installer . Typically the long equipment warranty agreements for the solar panels and the power electronics will still be in effect and transfer to the new owner. Be sure the original installer knows who you are; if you can’t find the original installer contact the equipment manufacturer directly.

    4. If the new owner intends to sell RECS or SRECS then they’ll need to establish a
    relationship with a broker or aggregator after the MASSCEC -PTS account has
    been transferred. MassCEC and DOER list eligible aggregator brokers at :

  2. Anonymous

    Can I get a Massachusetts “Heat” 0% interest loan for solar? Assuming I’m creditworthy is there a maximum amount I can borrow?

  3. George D

    The Massachusetts Heat Loan program is available through your utility efficiency program or MASSAVE and can be used for Solar Thermal systems only. Up to $25,000 can be borrowed typically through local banks
    One of MASOA’s objectives in current policy discussions is the state sponsoring a similar 0% or low interest loan program for solar electric systems

  4. John Livermore

    Massachusetts 0% HEAT loans are available for solar hot water systems, but not for photovoltaic systems.

Leave a reply